WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Tirokafteri is a whipped spicy feta cheese dip that is often found in most Greek restaurants. Tiri means cheese in Greek, and kafteri translates to spicy, so that’s why this spicy feta dip is called tirokafteri.
This whipped spicy feta cheese dip has a creamy consistency and comes together in minutes! This tirokafteri is seriously so good. Serve with warm pita bread and use it as a spread for sandwiches or a dip with fresh veggies.
The perfect dip when you need a quick and delicious appetizer with only a handful of ingredients. Spicy Greek feta dip is a popular Greek dip to include as part of a mezze platter with other delicious Greek dips like tzatziki, taramasalata, or fava dip.
KITCHEN TOOLS RECOMMENDED FOR THIS RECIPE
- Food processor
I added more feta than cream cheese to make the feta taste stronger, but you could do equal amounts of cream cheese and feta if you’d like a milder-tasting dip. The cream cheese adds more creaminess and results in a deliciously thick dip. In Greek restaurants, tirokafteri is served more grainy (textured) than whipped. Simply mix the ingredients together for less time if you don’t want as creamy of a texture.
Tirokafteri will thicken slightly in the fridge. Allow the dip to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving. You can adjust the level of heat to your preferences. If you’d like it spicier, gradually add more chlli peppers or chilli flakes.
Feta: If possible, try to buy a block of feta cheese or feta cheese in brine. Crumbled packaged feta won’t work as well for this recipe.
Cream cheese: I use regular block Philadelphia cream cheese for this recipe, but you could also use a plain cream cheese spread.
Red hot chilli peppers: I buy the sliced red hot chilli peppers in oil. You should be able to find these at your grocery store, online, or at a Mediterranean specialty store. These chilli peppers in oil are usually good for a few months when stored in the fridge after opening.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY FETA DIP (TIROKAFTERI): STEP BY STEP
STEP 1: Add feta, cream cheese, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and diced red hot chilli peppers to the bowl of a food processor. Break the feta up with your fork so it can mix more easily. Mix these ingredients together until smooth, about a minute or so.
STEP 2: Transfer the dip to a small serving bowl or store it in an airtight container for up to three days in the fridge. You can sprinkle the tirokafteri with red chilli flakes and a few Meditteranean olives.
Serve with pita bread, fresh bread, or vegetables like carrot sticks or cucumber slices. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and top with a little bit of olive oil if you’d like.
SERVING & STORING
This Greek feta cheese dip shouldn’t be at room temperature for longer than two hours. You can store this delicious dip in the fridge for up to three days. It will thicken slightly in the fridge, so for best results, allow the dip to sit out for a few minutes before serving.
- Creamy Baked Brie With Sweet Fig Jam
- Easy Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
- Super Simple Pita Bread Recipe (No Yeast)
- Thick Homemade Tzatziki With Sour Cream
- Greek Marinated Octopus Recipe
- Roasted Greek Lemon Potatoes
Spicy Feta Cheese Dip (Tirokafteri)
- Food processor
- 8 oz feta cheese
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 ½ teaspoons sliced red hot chilli peppers in oil adjust to taste
- red pepper flakes optional
- Mediterranean pitted olives to serve with the dip optional
- STEP 1: Add feta, cream cheese, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and diced red hot chilli peppers to the bowl of a food processor. Break up the feta and cream cheese with your fork so they can mix more easily. Mix these ingredients together until smooth, about a minute or so.
- STEP 2: Transfer the dip to a small serving bowl or store it in an airtight container for up to three days in the fridge. You can sprinkle the tirokafteri with red chilli flakes, olive oil or a few Meditteranean olives.
- This spicy feta dip will thicken slightly in the fridge. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- You can adjust the spice level to your preferences. If you'd like it spicier, gradually add more chilli peppers or chilli flakes to the dip.
- If the feta cheese and cream cheese are at room temperature, they will mix more easily in the food processor.
Date Published: November 28, 2022